A huge thank you to Heather Hewitt, my first guest post writer! She has some awesome and easy ideas for a super sweet 16 party! Check it out!
Turning sixteen is a major milestone in any teen girl’s life and most want to celebrate with their best friends. But shows like MTV’s popular My Super Sweet 16 – which features extravagant and expensive Sweet 16 parties – may have set some unrealistic expectations in your daughter’s mind. However, it’s still possible to throw a bash worthy of this momentous occasion without overspending. Consider the following tips when setting out to plan your teen’s Sweet 16.
- Ask her what she wants. Much as you might wish she was, she’s not a little kid anymore – which means she is capable of helping you plan. Even if you plan to do most of the work, ask your daughter what she envisions for her party. Encourage brainstorming and don’t discount any ideas just yet. Even if some of her ideas are outside the realm of possibility due to budget constraints, let her dream – and then get creative.
- Establish a budget. Your daughter might not be the only one likely to get carried away with fun ideas. In order to reign in your spending, create a budget for yourself and stick with it! It’s possible to throw a completely amazing party without going into debt in the process.
- Choose a fun theme. There are many popular party themes you can choose from, including everything from western, Hawaiian luau, disco, dance party, decades or glitz and glamour. You can also create a theme based on your teen’s favorite movie, band or TV show. Don’t be afraid to move outside the box and brainstorm creative ways to incorporate a new theme.
- Select a location. Once you have a theme in mind, it is easier to come up with a location that will support that theme. For example, if you’re throwing a luau bash, you’ll probably want to hold the party poolside. If everyone is dressing up like red-carpet royalty, a small hotel ballroom or dance hall might work nicely.
- Remember the basics. At the end of the day, every party – no matter the theme – needs great invitations, food, décor and activities:
- Invitations. An affordable way to spread the word is to create your own Sweet 16 invitations online, simply select one that will suit the theme. When you design invites online, you can select from a variety of colors, styles and fonts to create the perfect invitations. (If your family is throwing a quinceañera instead of a Sweet 16, check out available quinceañera invitations online.)
- Food. Teenagers love to eat and most are not extremely particular. For several parties, you can probably get away with serving appetizers and pizza. However, consider the theme and whether certain foods would fit better. For example, if you throw a fancy Hollywood-style party, serve mini quiches and meatballs on platters carried by waiters (who can simply be some relatives and friends you press into service!). If your chosen theme is a luau, serve pineapple and jerk chicken.
- Décor. Remember to search for bargains! Find decorations to match your theme, or get crafty and make them yourself. Enlist your teen and some of her best friends to help.
- Activities. Again, choose activities to match your theme. Arrange for guests to do everything from shopping, heading to the spa for manis/pedis, playing games, dancing, swimming, etc.
Whatever kind of party you throw, make it memorable. Remember to ask your daughter what she wants and don’t be afraid to try something new. Sweet 16 is a great reason to celebrate!
Author Bio: Heather Hewitt is a seasoned writer and guest author who enjoys connecting people with thoughtful products, services and ideas as they relate to crafting, photography, gift giving and personal expression.